Nov 21, 2018

encaustic photography


The Arte Department 

Encaustic is an art form that dates back to 800bc.  It is a technique that uses beeswax and resin as a medium. The "caustic" part is because heat is used to fuse the layers of wax. Hot wax painting. I discovered this art by seeing a photo on Elizabeth Messina's IG feed. I dreamed of learning how to create photos like the ones I was staring at. My wildest dream came true when Leah MacDonald had a workshop at The Arte Department in Carpinteria hosted by Elizabeth Messina.

 Beautiful items in the gallery/boutique at The Arte Department.


 Hot wax, tools, and stencils for painting the wax on photos. 




I will remember Leah's words about how she creates her art to keep it intuitive and with no judgement. She is a master at teaching and her art is extraordinary.



 Leah explaining the best types of paper to use.
 Oil sticks to add color to the wax.


 My first photos. We were given Elizabeth's photos to use.





No comments:

Post a Comment